(I’m spiritual, I believe in the law of attraction, AND I have a degree in sociology… so here’s my perspective.)
I know a lot of “spiritual” people and most of them won’t touch what’s going on in politics right now with a 10 foot pole. Why? Because they believe focusing on the “negative” only feeds into it and attracts it into their lives. And they’re right; “fighting” against something only gives it more energy. Becoming emotional distraught over corrupt governments and bigoted, sexist politicians WILL knock down your high-flying vibration. But, only if you let it. You do NOT have to burry your head in the sand in order to remain “spiritual.”
In fact, finding the faith and internal resolve to remain in a stable emotional and spiritual place WHILE opening your eyes and heart fully to the social movements of our times is perhaps the most spiritual act of all.
If you are a “spiritual” person and find yourself trying to look the other way, yet feel your heart strings being pulled—you’re not alone. Perhaps the ideas below will help you find your place within this political and social whirlwind that has been INSPIRED by the pending presidential election.
OPEN YOUR HEART: Caring about social issues, such as racial equality, respecting women, poverty, etc is perfectly normal for HUMANS who have HEARTS. It is GOOD that you feel stirrings within you when you LOOK AT these things. Don’t beat yourself up for caring. And if you don’t want to feel bad, ignoring these issues isn’t the solution.
CHOOSE YOUR EMOTIONS: You can CHOOSE what perspective you take of these topics and how you FEEL ABOUT THEM. If you don’t want to feel angry, frustrated, hopeless, or disgusted, then DON’T. Allow these situations that you do not like to inspire within you the CLARITY of what you DO want—for yourself and others. Imagine diverse people supporting one another—AND DO THAT. Imagine women being honored and respected—AND DO THAT. Imagine people living with dignity and feeling secure—AND DO SOMETHING THAT HELPS SOMEONE IN NEED. You know that you’re in charge of your own vibrational state of being. Take responsibility for it and stop giving away your power.
Yes, I look at what’s going on in politics today and I STILL FEEL GREAT because I choose to!
EMBRACE COMMUNITY: Coming together as a community and Nation to make changes to our governmental system—for the sake of PROGRESS, such as moving toward an UNBIASED judicial and policing system, an economy that doesn’t leave people behind, and a government that isn’t manipulated by large corporations—IS A NOBLE AND IMPORTANT THING TO DO. And, it’s spiritual!
Think about so many of the famous “spiritual” people that we honor—and notice that nearly ALL of them participated actively in creating social change for the betterment of mankind.
- Mother Theresa didn’t ignore impoverished people—she dedicated her life to helping them and even lived among them in order to do so.
- Mahatma Gandhi didn’t ignore unfair taxation and oppression—he lead the Indian Independence movement, fighting to ease poverty, for women’s rights, and for freedom—teaching us all the power of nonviolent civil disobedience.
- Gautama Buddha was so moved when he first became aware of the “human condition” of illness, death, suffering that he renounced his royal material wealth and went in search of “truth.” Had he NOT LOOKED AT the “negative” he would not have been inspired to seek enlightenment and millions who have learned from his insights would have missed out.
- The Dalai Lama dedicates his life to promoting human happiness, inter-religious harmony and the preservation of peace and non-violence—and yes, much of what he does is considered POLITICAL.
- Jesus’ acts of rebellion against the religious institutions of the time—and even his crucifixion—were political in nature.
- And, was it not “spiritual” for Martin Luther King, Jr. to share his “dream” and his message of equality? Or for those who participated in the Civil Rights Movement to come together and stand up to the injustice of inequality and segregation?
WHAT IF THEY HADN’T? What if they had been too afraid to look at what was negative?
Caring about the wellbeing of mankind and seeking to continuously improve social issues in our world has historically NEVER been off limits for spiritual people. In fact, it’s been THE MAIN FOCUS of most spiritual leaders. So, why, then, are so many “spiritual” people today afraid to go there?
The world will not become a darker place. The human condition will not be worsened. Your life will not fall to pieces because you ALLOW YOURSELF TO GIVE A SHIT.
Those things will happen only if those of us with the BIGGEST HEARTS and the highest capacity to SEE THE VISION of the world being a better place refuse to even look at it.
WE hold the power. ONE PERSON who can FIND THE LIGHT hidden within his darkness… who finds HOPE instead of FEAR… who finds LOVE instead of HATE… can counteract the negativity of THOUSANDS of others who don’t know any better… others who think all they can do is observe the suffering and drama, react to it, feel horrible and hopeless, and feed it with their own negativity.
We all have a choice. We can look at what’s happening and choose to say a prayer for those who are hurting. We can educate ourselves and share our insights and help make collective decisions that matter. We can look for the silver linings and share these inspirations with those who need encouragement. We can follow our guidance and the stirrings in our hearts to take action that MAKES A DIFFERENCE in the world.
What you do with it is your decision—but not being willing to look at it means you are missing out on the opportunity to be inspired deeply to reach higher. Only through this tremendous CONTRAST can we so clearly see how much better things can—and will—be. Can you see the light?